Barrel Aged IPA

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:29 am

I realize that originally IPAs must have been put in barrels and shipped to India from England but I can't be the only one who thinks that an IPA is best when fresh. Now I see folks are barrel aging IPAs.

Do they barrel age it then dry hop it or what folks? I doubt I'd even like an IPA that was shipped to India back in the 1800s, I bet IPAs back then weren't nearly as aromatic and flavorful as they are today with all the great hop varieties we have now.

Anybody else think barrel aging IPAs sounds kinda wrong? Maybe I should try one and then form my opinion, maybe I am just tired of all the barrel aging going on. Half of the barrel aged stuff I try tastes like coconut.

And what about those White IPAs with orange peel and coriander? I've actually tried a couple of those and was greatly displeased. Orange peel and coriander generally displease me though. It's fine in foods but not my beers please.

I know, if I can't say something nice I should keep my big mouth hole shut, aw well, I wanna see if anyone has tried a barrel aged IPA and what they think of it.
Fermenting: Black IPA, Barley Wine, Cider and Imperial Stout

Current man crush: Warren

Previous man crushes: Nathan, Tasty, JP and Justin

Future man crush: Maybe Jamil or Doc

:bnarmy: SGT ScottyB-Brewing :bnarmy:
ScottyB-Brewing

Re: Barrel Aged IPA

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:32 am

I can confirm I've had at least one barrel aged IPA that I can remember. It was from a new local brewery here and they haven't done it since. The flavor of the IPA was considerably muted, but I can't say it was overall bad. I believe they dry hopped it in the barrel, but the newly obtained barrel oak/whisky taste took over most of the beer, giving it more of a hard liquor flavor rather than hoppy, which I usually enjoy. I've also tried Triple Voodoo's Kraken which is an IPA with oak in the fermentor trying to mimic the taste of the originally IPAs. Wasn't bad at all, but I honestly doubt it's anything like what IPA's used to taste like (which was probably like crap).
Beerd Man

Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:38 am

Yea the original IPAs were probably served warm and flat, who wants to mimic that right chief?

ScottyB-Brewing

Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:06 am

ScottyB-Brewing wrote:Yea the original IPAs were probably served warm and flat, who wants to mimic that right chief?

Bit of research on the matter shows that they had managed to store and serve it cool, via potassium nitrate and that the carbonation in the beer was akin to champagne (possible due to brett being in the barrels and fermentation kicking off during the voyage). :aaron
Fermenting; manuka smoked barley wine, 3203 red ale.
Bottled; too many,
Kegged; 60/-
On Deck; Count ding dong and inbred ding dong, belgian dark strong with/out brett.
Building; single tier brew system
j1m1

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:51 pm

j1m1 wrote:
Bit of research on the matter shows that they had managed to store and serve it cool, via potassium nitrate and that the carbonation in the beer was akin to champagne (possible due to brett being in the barrels and fermentation kicking off during the voyage). :aaron

I'm still not convinced an IPA would taste good with barrel flavoring, I must try one and find out!

ScottyB-Brewing

Return to General Beer Related