Re: Need Help – Mystery Infection

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:14 pm

Update: I replaced all my CO2 lines and the regulator. My last batch I ran as an expiriment and divided into three post fermentation. One was kegged and carbonated directly from my CO2 tank. Two was kegged and carbonated from the CO2 tank through my manifold and kegerator. Three I put in a growler and added priming sugar.

1 tasted to me like it still had the problem. 2 tasted a little different (better maybe) but still not right. The primed batch, however, tasted much better. I actually tasted hop flavor ( forgot what that rated like!!!)
I know a naturally carbed beer will taste a little different but I don't know if it would be this dramatic.
I had a buddy taste them too, but he thought they were all fine. So, either it's all in my head, or his palette is no good. :)

So I think my problem is definitely in my kegs/CO2 system.

Is it possible I could have a "bad" batch of CO2 that is impacting my beer flavor? Some contaminant in the gas? I've replaced all my keg gaskets and cleaned them well, so I don't think it's them.

Anyone have a similar issue with CO2? Next batch I'll try replacing my CO2.

Any other thoughts?
Capt. Pushy, BN Army Corps of Engineers
(not to be confused with Push E.)

Building a Better World Through Beer
Brew Engineer

Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:12 pm

Send a bottle of each in to Dr. Homebrew!
Eagle Dude

On Tap: Barrel Fermented Berlinerweisse 3.2%; American Pale Ale 6.3%, Amarillo Blond 5%
Aging: Flander's Red in a 60 gallon Merlot barrel
Fermenting: Robust Porter 6.5%
EagleDude

Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:35 pm

Brew Engineer:

I stumbled across your forum post through a google search; I am having the EXACT same problem and was wondering what happened?! Was it the CO2? I am now wondering if it isn't my dank basement with airborne yeast, bacteria, and mold. Nonetheless, any hope on this subject would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
jrhammonds

Previous

Return to General Beer Related