Re: Tasty's Session Pale Recipe

Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:57 pm

TastyMcD wrote:I wouldn't attempt this recipe as an extract beer. It relies on a high mash temp and a volume of specialty malts. It's a classic example of the level of control you get with all grain brewing.

Tasty

I haven't brewed Tasty's recipe yet but the blend of three different base grains would offer a complexity or depth of flavor not possible with malt extracts. Awesome that Tasty was doing this 8 years ago. Many people are just now starting to pick up on this technique.
Brian
KCMO
mobrewer

Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:14 pm

TastyMcD wrote:Nothing on the malt side. The hops are completely up to the brewer. I just would mix citrus with melon, earthy, or berry.
Tasty

Thanks!
Bad Goat Brewing

Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:57 pm

mobrewer wrote:
TastyMcD wrote:I wouldn't attempt this recipe as an extract beer. It relies on a high mash temp and a volume of specialty malts. It's a classic example of the level of control you get with all grain brewing.

Tasty

I haven't brewed Tasty's recipe yet but the blend of three different base grains would offer a complexity or depth of flavor not possible with malt extracts. Awesome that Tasty was doing this 8 years ago. Many people are just now starting to pick up on this technique.

Nowadays, you CAN buy Pilsner extract, British extract, and American Extract.
While I'm not saying by any stretch of the imagination that it will be identical, I would bet that it will be far closer than the old days of "pale, amber or dark" extracts. Plus, adding a bit of maltodextrin powder will impart a bit more MF to compensate for the higher mash temp.

Obviously, only Tasty could be the final arbiter, but I think it would be a very interesting experiment to try brewing them side by side, particularly if they used all the same ingredients except for the 3 base malts -- the same specialty grains, hop packets, yeast starters (ie, make 2 starters and mix them then re-split them so both starters go in both batches) on the same day.
ie, eliminate every possible source of difference except for the base malt.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:22 pm

It would be an interesting experiment but even with the wider variety of extracts, the base extracts have some crystal/cara mixed into the wort that was made. With all grain one doesn't have have to account for this plus will have more control over water chemistry. I agree- it may be good- but not the same.
Brian
KCMO
mobrewer

Previous

Return to General Beer Related