Re: Donating Beer for a Charity

Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:28 pm

Ozwald wrote:
hopheadfred wrote:What they decide to do with the beer is up to them and any repercussions are on them.

Sadly, even though this should be true, the world's full of too many idiots & douchebags. Don't think for a second that defense will keep you from getting hit too.

If put to it, someone gives up your name and the come sniffing around you... may not end up doing anything, but you don't need the man poking into your taxes, etc...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:44 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
Ozwald wrote:
hopheadfred wrote:What they decide to do with the beer is up to them and any repercussions are on them.

Sadly, even though this should be true, the world's full of too many idiots & douchebags. Don't think for a second that defense will keep you from getting hit too.

If put to it, someone gives up your name and the come sniffing around you... may not end up doing anything, but you don't need the man poking into your taxes, etc...

Or keep your kegs as evidence for 4 years, or any number of inconveniences. Not every thing the law does is correct, but it's sure a PITA to work through the system to get things straightened out. Doesn't matter if you're right or wrong, they can still fuck with you as much as they want to.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Thanks guys for all the feedback!! I can't believe I am the first homebrewer who has been approached to do something like this. Still on the fence...I realize that there is an extremely remote chance of something happening. Just can't imagine any law enforcement officer actually taking the time to investigate this. Not to mention who do they go after...the person brewing the beer, the volunteer pouring the beer/tanking money, the organization who's event it is? Actually it seems almost unenforceable after the fact. I have Googled it and can't find any instances, other than the Ohio college incident. Maybe this is one of those cases where it "is better to beg forgiveness than ask permission"?
hopheadfred

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:38 pm

I'm with the other guys on this. The charity is in it for the free beer. Imagine if someone there loved your beer. Where can they go to get some since you can't sell it? Nowhere. Dead end.

If someone drinks your beer and is involved in a fatal vehicle accident, you can bet that attorneys will show up on your doorstep.

If you want to help the charity donate some cash. You just don't need the feds sniffing around on this one. The way I see it, you have nothing to gain.

Then again, I'm buzzed and it is late. My 2 cents, anyway.
code
codewritinfool

Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:47 am

hopheadfred wrote: ...the volunteer pouring the beer/tanking money...

They are selling your beer. Beer that has not been taxed by the government. The government takes a dim view of the sale of untaxed alcohol. You can pretty much do anything you want, but you have to pay taxes. Remember, that's how they got Capone.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:32 am

codewritinfool wrote:I'm with the other guys on this. The charity is in it for the free beer. Imagine if someone there loved your beer. Where can they go to get some since you can't sell it? Nowhere. Dead end.

If someone drinks your beer and is involved in a fatal vehicle accident, you can bet that attorneys will show up on your doorstep.

If you want to help the charity donate some cash. You just don't need the feds sniffing around on this one. The way I see it, you have nothing to gain.

Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:
hopheadfred wrote: ...the volunteer pouring the beer/tanking money...

They are selling your beer. Beer that has not been taxed by the government. The government takes a dim view of the sale of untaxed alcohol. You can pretty much do anything you want, but you have to pay taxes. Remember, that's how they got Capone.

Agree with the above. I wouldnt even think about considering it. Too much risk. Donate some cash, bake some cakes.
Sparge Pervert

Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:30 am

codewritinfool wrote:I'm with the other guys on this. The charity is in it for the free beer. Imagine if someone there loved your beer. Where can they go to get some since you can't sell it? Nowhere. Dead end.

Thanks for your input. A long, long term goal of mine is to open a small, local brewery. If someone loves my beer maybe they would want to invest in it....someone who otherwise would never have my beer. It would be nice to get my name out there as a kick ass homebrewer who supports the local community.
hopheadfred

Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:52 am

hopheadfred wrote:

Thanks for your input. A long, long term goal of mine is to open a small, local brewery. If someone loves my beer maybe they would want to invest in it....someone who otherwise would never have my beer. It would be nice to get my name out there as a kick ass homebrewer who supports the local community.

It would be a great PR event, to be sure. But the risk of Federal Pound me in the ass prison is a little too much for my tastes.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Beer Related