Donating Beer for a Charity

Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:09 pm

Hey Guys,
I have been approached by a board member of a local non-profit to see if I was interested in donating some beer for an event in a few months. I don't know if they are going to be giving away the beer, selling cups, or ??. I did mention to the board member that there could be some potential legal issues, more so for the non-profit, but he didn't seem too concerned. In the past they have sold commercial beer (Sierra Nevada) without even getting a one day license to do so. It is a very professional organization and was honored that they think my beer is that good. I won't be attending the event and they will have their volunteers pouring the beer. The only thing I am getting out of this is helping a non-profit community group put on a nice event. So anyone have any experience with something like this?
hopheadfred

Re: Donating Beer for a Charity

Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:22 pm

There is certainly a potential for people getting screwed here. I wouldn't touch it.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:42 pm

Yeah I am not sure what to do....it's a film festival where they have an intermission with beverages and snacks in the lobby. The board member said most people drink wine....they just like to also have a little beer available. It requires a ticket just to get in the door so it's not like a public event or anything where anybody can just walk up and have a beer. I have heard of that Ohio college incident. What was the final outcome of that? Did the guys ever get their cornies back or are they serving hard time in Leavenworth ?:shock:
hopheadfred

Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:34 am

Wow, I hadn't heard about that Ohio event.

I know I'd be too worried about making sure my own ass was covered to even bother with a local festival, regardless of the odds. Personally I wouldn't touch that with a 10' pole, but it's up to you of course.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:11 am

Where are you at HHF?
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 am

spiderwrangler wrote:Where are you at HHF?

CA. I think the film festival organizers are looking at this just like they look at the food donations. My wife is asked every year to bake cookies for the festival which they sell at intermission. I figure my ass is covered if all I do is give them the beer. What they decide to do with the beer is up to them and any repercussions are on them. I just want to make sure they know what's what.
hopheadfred

Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:01 am

hopheadfred wrote:It requires a ticket just to get in the door so it's not like a public event or anything where anybody can just walk up and have a beer.

In Texas, if it requires a ticket, it is illegal to serve homebrew because technically the venue is selling the beer. (SGTSatan's homebrew club in Midland tried this for the Commemorative Air Force fundraiser and was shot down immediately.) If they advertise it as complimentary, then they have to allow anyone access to the beer. That's how I can get into Costco or Sam's without being a member.

I'd stay far away from this.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:24 pm

hopheadfred wrote:What they decide to do with the beer is up to them and any repercussions are on them.

Sadly, even though this should be true, the world's full of too many idiots & douchebags. Don't think for a second that defense will keep you from getting hit too.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Next

Return to General Beer Related