English pale ale LME

Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:41 am

I am about to brew my 4th beer. I decided to do the Nutcastle from Brewing Classic Styles. The recommended extract is English pale ale. When I look online nobody sells this extract, at least the way it is named. Is this another name for Maris Otter? or is this something else? Is this a hopped extract?

What I got from my local Homebrew store is the Pale malt extract but according to "The Jamil Show" the english pale ale LME gives more biscuity flavor typical of the style. Should I go ahead and brew with the pale extract? Will it be close to style?
mincksj

Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:37 am

Does your LHBS have Muntons?
Koop

Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:15 am

Yep. xtra light, light, amber, dark.
mincksj

Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:33 am

I'd probably start with the light. Brew it up and take tasting notes. Then If you brew it again, try the extra light and taste if there's a difference. That's probably the easiest way to learn about which extract to us.
Munton's is a good one. I've used Laaglanders and had good results.
Hope this Helps! Cheers!
J
Give a man a brew, he's drunk for a day. Teach a man how to brew, and he'll be drunk for life!
Corporal Seaman, Midwest Lake Support, BN Army
brewjester

Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:09 am

You'll be close to style with Muntons. You can always try ordering from one of the bigger places (More Beer, Northern Brewer) too. They sell specific english extract, and Maris Otter extract. I think it makes a difference, but you wont be brewing bad beer using light DME.
Capt. Pushy, BN Army Corps of Engineers
(not to be confused with Push E.)

Building a Better World Through Beer
Brew Engineer

Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:33 am

I could be wrong (so please correct me if so...) - but I think Muntons and John Bull make a 100% MO LME (and if you know where I can get it online, also feel free to let me know).
Be no longer a drinker of water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake

1 Timothy 5:23
Cosmic Charlie

Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:00 pm

I think I am going with the Maris Otter unless I find out something different. I know my LHBS has it @ 15.25/3.5 lbs. I have seen it cheaper elsewhere, but got to support the home team. I let everyone know. My next quest is Munich LME.
mincksj

Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:25 am

Just to complete this subject.
Having search wide and far, there is no such thing as English pale ale liquid malt extract.
I just got an email back from Jamil. He thinks that the Maris Otter LME from John Bull would work well. Williamsbrewing.com has Maris Otter extract as well which he thinks would work as well. (and its a little cheaper).
Well thank God this quest is over. Now I can R. DW. and HAHB! Brewing this weekend. Yea!
mincksj

Next

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing