Re: fruit brew advice

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:36 am

It is nearly all fermentable, so wont' have much of an impact on your final gravity, thus no need to adjust hopping based on balancing unfermentables. It may be desirable to adjust hopping for other flavor reasons (reducing hops so not to overwhelm the fruit, etc).
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:49 am

spiderwrangler wrote:It is nearly all fermentable, so wont' have much of an impact on your final gravity, thus no need to adjust hopping based on balancing unfermentables. It may be desirable to adjust hopping for other flavor reasons (reducing hops so not to overwhelm the fruit, etc).

That's how I have done it before, I just wondered when I saw my abv shoot up like crazy based on Beersmith's calculations for the fruit... Thanks!
fulkrum78

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:42 am

Yeah, your SG will jump, but you should get back down to pretty much the same FG with a fruit addition,.
Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:11 am

I don't believe the OG will really jump all that much seeing as how much of fruit is actual water. You may only increase your gravity by a few points if that when adding fruit/purees, etc. I wouldn't expect to see any major sugar additions from the fruit especially due to the water content. I read some research on this done by the Mad Fermentationist before where he took some pre and post gravity readings and did not see much of a difference. You could check out his site and see his work if you are interested. You might try searching on his site for "fruit additions".
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:21 pm

Not sure how much he was seeing it jump... the Oregon puree's list their gravity on the can, some are higher than others, but the cherry will be around 1.080+, so there would be some increase there.
Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:00 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Not sure how much he was seeing it jump... the Oregon puree's list their gravity on the can, some are higher than others, but the cherry will be around 1.080+, so there would be some increase there.

In Beersmith it was showing a 2% increase in abv on one beer. I'm thinking that might be puree or somesuch though vs. regular fruit (wasn't really looking at that part to be honest). (it was from a blackberry addition btw)
fulkrum78

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:23 pm

How you entered it may not be taking the additional volume into account, which is what brewinhard was referring to in water content. In other words, if you add fruit puree to a 5 gallon batch, you now have a ~5.25 gallon batch.
Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing