Re: Rrrrrrreally Small Batches...

Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:50 pm

Fierce Beard wrote:
Jbug wrote:If you're just brewing standard English or American ales, you may look in to dry yeast... us-05 is a great yeast that I use all the time... I bet you could get at least 6 batches out of an 11g package. Watch the handling though. Flame a butter knife and scoop the needed amount or better yet use measuring spoons. The spoons are prob the better way so you can pitch the same everytime. I hope your situation get better soon!

:jnj
Josh

This sounds like the avenue I'm going to follow. Quick question - Do I have to worry about scorching the dry yeast with a hot spoon, or am I just being paranoid? When I've used dry yeast in the past, I've just dumped a packet. Iif I'm scooping with a spoon, and it's hot enough to kill bad bugs, am I going to damage my yeast?

if I had to guess that spoon will cool pretty fast ... you could just use a squirt of star san. But flaming would sterile and I think you'll need that if you're opening the package and not using it all at once.

:jnj
Josh
Jbug

Re: Rrrrrrreally Small Batches...

Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:42 pm

I prefer the Brewer's Best to the Coopers, the Aussie ones are made for 12oz bottles, which doesn't allow for easily carbing odd sizes or for carbing to lower or higher levels depending on style. The BB ones are much smaller, and typically you would add 3-5 (as I recall) for a 12 oz bottle depending on level of CO2 you want, and can then scale to 16.9 oz bottles or 22s..
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing