dry hop ques??

Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:27 am

I brewed and APA on July 4th and dry hopped it last night. It has been in the refrigerator at 67F since I brewed it. If I go ahead and crash the beer will the dry hop process continue to happen? Also, I dry hopped with loose hop pellets into the primary fermenter. I do not have pumps or a filtration system. Does anyone know a good way to strain out some of the hop "chunks" without actually filtering. I have used paint straining bags in the past and had pretty good results, but would always like for my results to be better.
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Re: dry hop ques??

Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:33 am

bazookazilla wrote:If I go ahead and crash the beer will the dry hop process continue to happen?.

Yes, the beer will continue to extract the aroma oils from the hops even though it may be a slightly longer process. There is no more isomerization occurring once you cool the wort, so it doesn't matter if it's 67F or 32F.

bazookazilla wrote:Also, I dry hopped with loose hop pellets into the primary fermenter. I do not have pumps or a filtration system. Does anyone know a good way to strain out some of the hop "chunks" without actually filtering. I have used paint straining bags in the past and had pretty good results, but would always like for my results to be better.

Are you using a racking cane? If so, just place it above the trub. You may have a couple of cups less beer, but it will be clean. If you are pouring out of your fermenter (not recommended due to oxidation), your paint strainers or cheese cloth will probably be as good as anything.

Good luck and good brewing!
Corporal, BN Army, Southeastern PA Division
Vice President--Stoney Creek Homebrewers
TheTodd

Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:42 am

TheTodd wrote:
bazookazilla wrote:If I go ahead and crash the beer will the dry hop process continue to happen?.

Yes, the beer will continue to extract the aroma oils from the hops even though it may be a slightly longer process. There is no more isomerization occurring once you cool the wort, so it doesn't matter if it's 67F or 32F.

+1 it will just take longer. If you aren't in a hurry go for it.
Private First Class: BN Army

"Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin
BrewerBC

Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:53 am

You could try using a stainless steel chore boy attached to an autosiphon to keep the pelletized hops out of the packaging process. I for one, simply just rack from above the hops the best as possible after cold crashing and hope I don't lose too much finished beer.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:59 pm

But in my very limited experience the hops don't seem to settle. They just seem to stay suspended. Maybe I haven't given this process enough time in the past.
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:25 am

bazookazilla wrote:But in my very limited experience the hops don't seem to settle. They just seem to stay suspended. Maybe I haven't given this process enough time in the past.

I recently dry hopped a double IPA with 9 oz of pellets in the primary. By the end of the 2nd day of cold crashing at 38 deg, the pellets had all dropped out to the bottom. It was about 2 inches of pellets floating on the surface before that even with frequent swirling of the carboy to suspend the hops better.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:25 pm

brewinhard wrote:
bazookazilla wrote:But in my very limited experience the hops don't seem to settle. They just seem to stay suspended. Maybe I haven't given this process enough time in the past.

I recently dry hopped a double IPA with 9 oz of pellets in the primary. By the end of the 2nd day of cold crashing at 38 deg, the pellets had all dropped out to the bottom. It was about 2 inches of pellets floating on the surface before that even with frequent swirling of the carboy to suspend the hops better.

Haha 9 oz Jesus Christ :pop What batch size was that, and how much beer did you lose to the pellets? Not saying you did anything wrong, I am just impressed!

I have heard you can put a hop bag or similar mesh over the end of your racking cane to avoid picking up tons of hop matter. I only dry hopped with loose pellets once and I got a TON of crud into my keg, so ever since I just put them in a hop bag and duck the issue. But I bet covering the racking cane would work fine.
Corporal, BN Army
Docjowles

Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:13 am

Docjowles wrote:
brewinhard wrote:

Haha 9 oz Jesus Christ :pop What batch size was that, and how much beer did you lose to the pellets? Not saying you did anything wrong, I am just impressed!

I have heard you can put a hop bag or similar mesh over the end of your racking cane to avoid picking up tons of hop matter. I only dry hopped with loose pellets once and I got a TON of crud into my keg, so ever since I just put them in a hop bag and duck the issue. But I bet covering the racking cane would work fine.

That 9 oz was for a 5 gallon batch! I ended up with about 3.5 gallons of the best Double IPA I have had since Pliney the Elder, all in the confines of my home. I have recently made another batch where I dry hopped with 10 oz of pellets and about 295 IBU's in the kettle. Surprisingly smooth for such a giganticly hopped beer.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing