Re: bavarian hefe ferment slowed quickly

Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:26 am

Took another reading last night (dady 10) and it's down to 1.016. Not as low as I had hoped. All the krausen had fallen, too. It got really warm here yesterday, and the bucket had moved up to around 70-71, compared to the 63-64 range it had been in most of the time. No idea if that would help it finish up, or if the yeasties are done. Gave the bucket one more swirl and added some ice to the water bath the bucket it sitting in. Will give it a couple more days and take another reading to see if it's still working or not.
• considering: first lager
• primary:
• secondary:
• drinking: JBA batch #2
• bottle conditioning: Best Bitter
• recent past: (AG) Rye IPA rebrew; rye saison; BCS Cal Common, Rye IPA, Tasty APA, JZ's Cowboy Altbier
jimlin

stuck at 1.016

Mon May 09, 2011 6:35 am

Bottled the hefe after 20 days in the bucket. Stuck on 1.016. :(

Moved 5 gal from the fermenter to bottling bucket, adding in the corn sugar solution, and got 24 12oz bottles plus a bomber filled. Used about 4.75 oz of the sugar. Hoping these carb up ok. Storing them in a fridge (not running) at ambient temp (big room over garage, mid-to-upper 60s most of the time. Lots of banana in this batch for sure. Hopefully it carbs/conditions nicely so I can share with friends, as I don't know if I can drink 2-cases of hefe quick enough to finish while it's "fresh."
• considering: first lager
• primary:
• secondary:
• drinking: JBA batch #2
• bottle conditioning: Best Bitter
• recent past: (AG) Rye IPA rebrew; rye saison; BCS Cal Common, Rye IPA, Tasty APA, JZ's Cowboy Altbier
jimlin

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing