Re: First ever brew.

Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:18 am

I have a Continental Pilsner Kitfrom a gift I might brew up and make as a steam beer, just to use it up. It's been here since December 2009. I'd like to get a carboy and use that to lager per the instructions. That's going to take about 6 weeks or so to be finished so I figured I can get that going and working while I'm drinking the weizenbier I bottled. Then when I rack the pilsner from fermenter bucket to carboy bright tank/secondary that will free up the fermenter bucket for another batch of the weizenbier. By that time I hope to get a budget keg system setup in my office. Just a mini fridge with a corny inside using the cheap picnic faucet. I can open the door to pull a pint no problem. Then save up and get a dual tap tower and put that in the top of it. With that setup, I should be good for a while.
twitter.com/GentleCuntPunch

If you take what I post here literally, you're retarded. I'm here to fuck around, have a good time, and learn about beer. You mean nothing to me and I mean nothing to you.
Adam

Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:33 am

Fugglupagus wrote:This pic makes my back cramp up:

Bottling sucks. But if you can find a way to fill bottles somewhere other than the floor, it sucks slightly less. Some folks put their bottling bucket on the counter, place their butts in a chair, and then fill bottles on something higher than the floor, like an open dishwasher door. I prefer to bottle on my counter:

It wasn't too bad. What I'd like to do is get another lid with airlock hole drilled and make both buckets fermenters, then buy a bucket with the valve on the bottom like yours as the priming bucket. Then Get a shorter piece of tubing to put the bottling wand on that. Then I can let that hang down off the counter and just lift the bottles up to fill them from sitting in a chair. I don't mind the auto-siphon but a valve and bottle wand would be easier to use I think.

Now that I did it once I can see areas I can improve on efficiency. One thing I wish I had was someone to at least take the filled bottles and set a cap on them. I could have put the bucket on top of something to raise the working height, but didn't have anything around that was stabil enough.

I took notes throughout this whole experience and am crafting a list of changes to equipment and process that will help me with future brews. Drives my wife crazy sometimes the amount of depth and detail I go into but me having Asperger's Syndrome, she knows there's nothing I can do about it.

If you take what I post here literally, you're retarded. I'm here to fuck around, have a good time, and learn about beer. You mean nothing to me and I mean nothing to you.
Adam

Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:06 am

Maybe someone else will chime in besides me but I think the extract in that kit my be a little out of date... The fresher the better! I guess you could brew it just to practice your methods but it prob won't make the greatest beer.

:jnj
Josh
Jbug

Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:36 am

That's what I'm thinking too. I hate to waste it.

Adam

Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:45 pm

Just checked my 20oz bottle. Carbonization is started. I saw the bottle swell up from having some air pushed out. Opened the cap and heard the "psssshhhhh". I pushed the air out again and recapped it. Will try the beer in a week.

Adam

Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:14 am

Did a taste test after 6 days bottled. So far it's under carbonized so it will need to be bottled for another week or so. It tastes dry, finished at a FG of 11. Color looks OK, more amber than what I thought but the wort was dark too. I'm not getting any revolting flavors. I'm thinking more of a clove aroma than a banana. It's just fresh beer and not filtered like the big commercial beers. Only thing I have to compare for reference is BL Golden Wheat, which has coriander and citrus flavoring added so it's not a parellel. I'm not discouraged, only encouraged. :)

Adam

Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:09 am

That looks way lighter than the extract hefe I brewed. Drink it quick. Mine lasted just over 5 months, then the flavor changed quite a bit. And definite +1 on the valve and bottling wand. If you get some drippage from that, add a little hose clamp. On to the next batch!
dougriddle

Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:21 am

Tonight I'm going to try another beer and see how the carbonization is doing. Should mark 11 days bottled so it should be getting close.

Adam

PreviousNext

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing