Goat Scrotum

Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:22 pm

Just popped the first bottles of my tumultuous porter (goat scrotum) and it is intense!
The molasses pops out at first, then a hint of juniper, followed by a Jalapeño finish

Old Times
Quoted from The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing.

Goat Scrotum Ale
(formerly Tumultuous Porter)

Ingredients for 5 gallons:

5 lbs. plain dark malt extract
1 lb. crystal malt
1/4 lb. black patent
1/4 lb. roasted barley
1 1/2 oz. boiling hops (your choice)
1 1/2 oz. finishing hops (your choice)
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. blackstrap molasses
1-2 pkgs. ale yeast
And one or all of the following ingredients

2-4 oz. freshly grated ginger root
1-2 inches brewing licorice or bruised licorice root
1-10 Szechuan chile peppers (very optional)
1/4 c. juniper berries (slightly crushed)

I left out chocolate and spruce essence
GreenKace

Re: Goat Scrotum

Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:59 pm

I think scrotum is an acquired taste for many. I know two fellows who, after filling their mouths with scrotum, will likely never swallow homebrew again. I laced mine only with ginger. I found it quite harsh at first, very tangy and bitter. It either mellowed nicely with age, or I eventually got accustomed to the flavor of scrotum. Either way, I consumed all of my scrotum.

Took it to a party where the host (allegedly) had a thing for sheep. Six pack label:

I see drunk people . . . . . .
Fugglupagus

Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:04 pm

I made it with the spruce once. Once. Dear lord, that was nasty! I did, however, get a lot of great reactions from dupes, I mean friends, when I gave them one. I don't believe anyone ever swallowed any of it.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:17 am

Fugglupagus wrote:I think scrotum is an acquired taste for many. I know two fellows who, after filling their mouths with scrotum, will likely never swallow homebrew again. I laced mine only with ginger. I found it quite harsh at first, very tangy and bitter. It either mellowed nicely with age, or I eventually got accustomed to the flavor of scrotum. Either way, I consumed all of my scrotum.

Took it to a party where the host (allegedly) had a thing for sheep. Six pack label:

That label is incredible.
In the cellar: BB Russian Imperial Stout, 2011 Centennial Pale Ale
In the fermentor:
In my head: Double Irish Red, Belgian Wit
donManguno

Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:19 pm

Thanks. At the time, I was a little uncomfortable with the number of close up pictures of barnyard animal parts I had to wade thru to find that manly sheep. It turned out to be worth it. The label was a huge hit. On the other hand, the beer was not.

Glad this thread started up. I realised I had two scrotums in the basement. They were a year old on Monday. It aged pretty well, but I still don't care for this beer. The flavor on the front end is wonderful. The combination of bitterness from the dark malts, the ginger, and the blackstrap mollasses really upset the balance of the beer on the back end. The tart/sour of the ginger adds a layer of funk to the bitter. I had a lot of fun with this beer, but it's just too harsh to enjoy.
I see drunk people . . . . . .
Fugglupagus

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing