Recipe Help

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:37 pm

I did my first extract beer 2months ago and it turned out really well. The only this is I find that the after taste isn't pleasant. Its like it has bitter after-taste. I want it to have a clean crisp / refreshing after taste. Is there any adjustments that you can recommend to acheive this.

Also, most of my beers finish high (1015 - 1018). These are all lager beers. Any idea's? Is it the yeast. I have only been using SAFLAGER W 34/70 Lager yeast, could it be this?

Recipe.

.25kg Aromatic Malt
.05 Acid Malt
3.0kg Wheat LME
.5kg Light DME
50g Hallertauer Hersbrucker (60min)
20g Hallertauer Hersbrucker (30min)
30g Hallertauer Hersbrucker (10min)
12g Saaz (10min)
.25kg Malto-Dextrine (5min)
.91 oz Coriander Seed
.91 oz Orange Peel, sweet
tbasten

Re: Recipe Help

Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:26 pm

tbasten wrote:I did my first extract beer 2months ago and it turned out really well. The only this is I find that the after taste isn't pleasant. Its like it has bitter after-taste. I want it to have a clean crisp / refreshing after taste. Is there any adjustments that you can recommend to acheive this.

Are you using your tap water? Perhaps that plus the mineral content already in the extract are having an effect. Might try getting some reverse osmosis or distilled water from the market. But it's pretty hard to guess going on just bitter. What sort of bitterness? The sort you get from licking a grapefruit? Bitter like kale? Bitter like hops? Medicinal bitterness?

tbasten wrote:Also, most of my beers finish high (1015 - 1018). These are all lager beers. Any idea's? Is it the yeast. I have only been using SAFLAGER W 34/70 Lager yeast, could it be this?

What is your original gravity? Are you pitching enough yeast? The Mr. Malty yeast pitching rate calculator (http://goo.gl/YaFP4) can help you figure this out. The only other thing I see in your recipe that might cause a higher final gravity is the maltodextrine which I think would add a few unfermentable points of gravity to your brew.
jm

Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:41 pm

The bitterness in this beer is pretty high assuming a 19L batch and 4% AA Hersbrucker.

I'd change the 30 min addition to a 5 minute addition. I'd even consider cutting the 50g addition down to 40g at 60.
Those 2 changes should drop this down to roughly 30 IBUs instead of 50+.

The Wheat extract has plenty of protein for head formation, and 3 kg is plenty for a solid 5% beer, so IMO, there is no need for the maltodextrin, either. This should drop the FG down to around 1.010 or 1.012 or so.

www.wardlab.com has water analysis testing services that are very good. Look at tests w5 and w6. (The difference is whether you need flouride and iron analysis)

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:06 am

BDawg wrote:http://www.wardlab.com has water analysis testing services that are very good. Look at tests w5 and w6. (The difference is whether you need flouride and iron analysis)

That's pretty cool ! They even have an information sheet set up for homebrewers.
I see drunk people . . . . . .
Fugglupagus

Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:35 pm

BDawg wrote:The bitterness in this beer is pretty high assuming a 19L batch and 4% AA Hersbrucker.

I'd change the 30 min addition to a 5 minute addition. I'd even consider cutting the 50g addition down to 40g at 60.
Those 2 changes should drop this down to roughly 30 IBUs instead of 50+.

The Wheat extract has plenty of protein for head formation, and 3 kg is plenty for a solid 5% beer, so IMO, there is no need for the maltodextrin, either. This should drop the FG down to around 1.010 or 1.012 or so.

http://www.wardlab.com has water analysis testing services that are very good. Look at tests w5 and w6. (The difference is whether you need flouride and iron analysis)

HTH-

I do 19L batches. I will try doing the hop adjustments. I will prob ever drop the maltodrxtrine. I am just pitching 1 pack so I have been calculating it. My of was 1048
tbasten

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing