Alexanders/Muntons LME vs. Northern or Briess?

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:02 pm

What is the difference between Alexander's and Munton's LME and other more affordable LMEs? Example: Midwest sells Briess Wheat LME for 6# at $14.50, the same cost as 4# of the Alexanders. Also Munton's, Northern Brewer...are these just different proprietary brands, or am I going to notice a difference depending on which I use. Can I substitute Northern or Briess Pilsner LME for Munton's or Alexander's? Thanks.
Jason.

tap:Alesmith IPA
carboy:Sour Blonde, Rye Saison w/Brett
bottld: Tripel A,Tripel B,Sour Blonde,Hef, Saison w/Brett
OnDeck:Brown Ale
Longtermferm:

"They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do!,"Nacho
crashlann

Re: Alexanders/Muntons LME vs. Northern or Briess?

Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:20 pm

There are certainly differences between brands of extracts. Maltsters tend to use ingredients local to them. For instance I'd expect Munton's to use English malts, Weyermann to use German malts, Briess to use American malts, etc. They defiantly rely on local water supplies which may be drastically different from country to country, region to region. Water will definitely affect their finished products. Maltsters also likely use different processes for preparing their wort and reducing it into extract. They also likely use different recipes for some types of LME that rely on a variety of grains, like amber or dark LME. All of these factors can impact your beer's flavor by providing differing mineral content, fermentability, and base flavor.

crashlann wrote: Can I substitute Northern or Briess Pilsner LME for Munton's or Alexander's? Thanks.

I think it depends on what you want. If you are trying to clone a specific English brew, or if you are trying to brew something that strictly adheres to a specific English style, you'll probably get closer to your goal by using Munton's. If you're just interested in making a delicious beer based on an English recipe, save some cash and use the NB or Briess.

Extract freshness is ultimately more important than brand. If you get stuck without fresh LME from a reliable place like Midwest or NB, it might be better to buy a product in a can (or DME). I think cans provide longer shelf life than some of the other extract containers. Cans keep light out. The top doesn't need to be taped to keep it closed. They're generally more durable. So if the choice is a can of Alexander's or filling my own bucket out of big plastic barrel of Briess that's been sitting in my LHBS for as long as I can remember, I pay the extra cash for the can.

Anybody know who supplies the LME for NB??
I see drunk people . . . . . .
Fugglupagus

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:09 pm

Thanks so much...this is what I wanted to hear, except the part about the large drum of LME...just made that choice on my Duvel clone...oh well. Thanks again.
Jason.

tap:Alesmith IPA
carboy:Sour Blonde, Rye Saison w/Brett
bottld: Tripel A,Tripel B,Sour Blonde,Hef, Saison w/Brett
OnDeck:Brown Ale
Longtermferm:

"They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do!,"Nacho
crashlann

Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:31 am

I wouldn't worry about the barrel itself if you buy from a busy shop that moves extract fairly quickly. In fact some shops buy the barrels then repackage the extract in jugs or pouches for sale to customers. I was thinking of a specific shop when I made the barrel comment. This shop is only open 2 days a week and it doesn't sell its extracts in its recipe kits. In all the times I've been in it, I noticed only two people buying LME. So best I can tell, an open extract barrel lasts them forever, and that doesn't scream "fresh" to me.
I see drunk people . . . . . .
Fugglupagus

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing