Re: My first recipe (IPA)

Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:55 am

I'd drop your crystal 30 to about 1/2 lb.

For the hops you could decrease each addition by about 20% and benefit your beer. Another approach would be to drop the Amarillo bittering addition since that addition will boil off most of the great citrusy character of the amarillo. You could then make the 45min simcoe addition your 60min bittering addition. Might also drop the 1/2oz of warrior at 30 too. That'll bring your bittering efforts down out of the pliny range and give you fewer grass cuttings to try to whirlpool out. Hopping is very individual so its all in whether you're looking to meet an IPA style or just make a beer that meets your needs. Might look at Ray Daniels Designing Great Beers. He talks about BUGU ratios. I have found this guideline for keeping bitterness balanced with gravity relative to the style you're trying to brew very helpful when pulling together recipes.

If you do not already have brewing software, you might go to hopville.com and use their free online recipe builder. This allows you to plug in your ingredient list and then tweak them up and down and see how it'll impact your gravity and bitterness. Not perfect, but it gets you in the ballpark...and free is nice.
Spelt

Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:33 am

Ok, I'll make the necessary adjustments. Otherwise do you guys think this could be a good beer?
I juuuust got the Ray Daniels book and havent gotten to the hopping section yet. I should probably read that before I dive headfirst into my next recipe.
Also, I was messing around with the hopville beer calculus thing while I was writing this recipe it said it would be only 60 IBUs, which I found hard to believe.
Beer Cadet, Galaxy Brewing
"Faster than the speed of taste!"
http://hopville.com/brewer/devinjames
devinjames

Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:40 am

If you want a subtle honey flavor, try a half pound of honey malt.

Mills
:bnarmy:
Sergeant: BN Army - Michigan Brewing Division

I've been pounding Chad's Dunkel all night.

- Doc

Twitter: @adammmills Follow me, yo!

http://thosewhocantteachbrew.blogspot.com
Mills

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:23 pm

SO, I just bought all the supplies, the final recipe looks like this:

8lb malt extract
2lb 2 row
1lb flaked barley
0.5lb victory (for amber malt)
0.5lb 30L crystal
0.5lb rye malt
1oz simcoe (@60 min)
1oz amarillo (@30 min)
1oz cascade (@10 min)
1oz magnum (@10min) (my homebrew store didn't have warrior)
1lb of honey for the end of boil
1oz cascade (dry hop)
1oz magnum (dry hop)
dry english ale yeast
1 pint grapefruit vodka tincture (added in secondary)

Im gonna brew it one new years day, wish me luck! I will let you guys know how it goes, thanks for the help!
:jnj
Beer Cadet, Galaxy Brewing
"Faster than the speed of taste!"
http://hopville.com/brewer/devinjames
devinjames

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:41 pm

Have a blast. Sure it'll come out great. Post your impression so we'll know how to tweak our IPA recipes.
Spelt

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing