Unremarkable Batch

Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:04 am

Good Morning Soldiers,

I have been having trouble with a beer that I wanted to brew for my Dad for Christmas. The Northern Brewer "Innkeeper" kit is supposed to be a clone of his favorite beer that ou can only get in the UK. After trying it out through the fermentation process, I noticed that it had a great hop flavor and a subtle malty back bone. Bottled after fermentation was complete and no while sampling, the beer tastes unremarkable and bland. I followed standard extract brewing and sanitation process' and wondered if anyone had any ideas?

Prost,

Darth Malt
In the Fermentor: RyePA
In the Secondary: Sam's IPA
Bottling:
Drinking: Beer for Breakfast Stout Wildflower Wheat & B4B 2.0
Darth Malt

Re: Unremarkable Batch

Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:17 am

How cold are the bottles you are sampling?
You might try warming them up if it's refrigerator temp (typically low 30's). You want to drink a Best Bitter around 45F-50F.

The colder the beer is, the less smell and flavor it exhibits, which is why those blue color streaks on the "Coldest tasting beer in the World" cans exist.

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:31 am

Checked them. Bottles are sitting pretty at 62 F.
Bottling:
Darth Malt

Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:49 pm

How long in the bottle?? Wine people talk about "bottle shock" - for a period of time after bottling a wine will taste flat and lifeless and then the flavors will open up again. I've heard some brewers say that happens with beer too .... I can't say I've tasted it first hand..........
-- Scott

On Tap - Janet's Brown, Easy-Jack/SNPA mash-up
Primary - BCS Saison with rye
Secondary - Cabernet Sauvingon
animaldoc

Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:43 pm

Its going on 2 weeks in the bottle. It isn't to long in the bottle, but that is what i am hopping for.
Bottling:
Darth Malt

Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:16 pm

How long did you keep it in the fermenter(s)? Did it clear before you bottled?

I also brewed this beer. Mine was surprisingly cloudy after 2 weeks in the fermenter. I've noticed beers I've bottled before they were really clear had pretty drastic flavor changes between 2 weeks in the bottle and 6 weeks in the bottle. But generally that change has been from harsh towards delicious, not delicious to something not delicious.

I thought the 1.043 OG listed with the recipe was a bit high. My go-go-gadget math skills computed 1.040. My brew would have hit 40, but I topped off 1/4 gallon too high and ended up at 1.038. I wonder if this is a slightly smaller beer than it's supposed to be, or at least smaller than you were expecting ??
I see drunk people . . . . . .
Fugglupagus

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:00 pm

Did you record your fermentation temp? If the bottles are sitting pretty at 62 I wonder if that was room temp, if so then I would say your beer may be lacking some of the fruity esters characteristic of english beers. Although fermentation activity may raise the temp a couple of degrees, it may not have gotten high enough to promote that ester production. For your next batch, try fermenting around 68F.

-Root
Redroot

Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:43 am

I will try that root. thanks. The beer never really cleared up, but it have a few bottles sitting around and it appears to be getting better after time. I never thought a session beer with a 1.038 OG would need aging though.
Bottling:
Darth Malt

Next

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing