Re: Witbier

Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:26 pm

yeah the krausen came to the top and out the blow off tube and filled my flask with about a finger of yeast/protein. as for the carboy cap in my attempt to sterilize it I melted it in the pressure cooker, by not having enough water.
problem solved
by the way have you had a chance to taste tester wittbeer. I would like to know how it turned out. I ended up adding fresh zested orange peel and a 1 ounce bottle of mccormick orange flavoring at kegging.

og 1.051
fg 1.008
lazerface

Re: Witbier

Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:43 am

I've had a couple bottles of it and I like it, for a witbier. I brewed it for my wife. It's not a style I really enjoy. I have the Justin/Mufasa wheat intolerance. I added some fresh lemon zest and some cinnamon at flame out in addition to the bitter orange peel and coriander my recipe called for. It tastes good. Some banana flavors from the yeast, and I can pick up the citrus pretty well and the lemon is distinct from the orange. I can't taste the other spices, but I've been fighting a cold so I might just be missing them. Not getting the head retention I expected on it, but the color is good (just on the good side of too dark for style) and it is cloudy and bubbly.

I poured one for my wife last night. Guess the first thing she said, before even tasting it.

"Oooh, I need to slice an orange to drop in this!"

Dammit. :? But it's her beer, so she can do whatever she wants to I guess.
Neuron_Theory was brewed according to the Reinheitsgebot.
BN Army Corporal - 1st Minn. Lakefront Divison
Prost!
Neuron_Theory

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing