Late Extract Timing

Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:38 pm

Hey,

So I'm a new brewer (~5 batches) and have a question about when to add late extract. I tried adding 1/2 of my extract late a couple of batches ago and the beer turned out horrible. I added the late addition at flame-out, let it sit 10 minutes to pasteurize, and chilled. I'm thinking that this could have been too late, and caused the problem with the beer since it was not chilled right away. So I guess my question is when is the best time to add the late portion of the extract? I'm thinking perhaps 5-10 minutes before the end of the boil, as this may be late enough not to affect hop utilization, but will allow the wort to be chilled at immediately after the boil?

Thanks!
andygravity

Re: Late Extract Timing

Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:50 pm

Your procedure sounds fine as far as sanitizing the extract. Also, a 10 minute post boil rest should not be a problem. Plenty of people do a whirlpool for longer.

Could you describe what you mean by horrible? It would help us dial in on the problem.
:bnarmy:Corporal, BN Army Kettle Scrubbing Squad :bnarmy:
andy77

Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:13 pm

I forgot where I had heard this, so I'm more tossing this out as a possibility as opposed to fact, but isn't it necessary to have at least a minimal amount of boiling after the late extract addition (maybe the 5-10 minutes andygravity mentioned?) in order to aid in the coagulation of wort proteins? Not sure what the exact effect that would have on the beer flavor though. Maybe someone who knows what they're talking about, unlike myself, can clarify this.

I'd also second andy77's inquiry as to the nature of this horribleness.
BN Army Private First Class

Fermenting: Lucky Day Pale
Kegged: Buckwheat Bulgur & Barley Saison, Kölsch, Styrian Celia Grisette, Single Dubbel, Winter Maple Strong Brown Ale
Alchemywunderkid

Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:48 pm

15 min seems to be a good time to add it, I believe that is what Palmer recommends in describing the technique in Brewing Classic Styles. As far as wort protein break, that should have happened when the maltster was making the extract, so shouldn't be a problem. I believe that the boiling is largely for pasteurization and integration when it won't have a huge impact on hop utilization.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:59 am

spiderwrangler wrote:15 min seems to be a good time to add it, I believe that is what Palmer recommends in describing the technique in Brewing Classic Styles. As far as wort protein break, that should have happened when the maltster was making the extract, so shouldn't be a problem. I believe that the boiling is largely for pasteurization and integration when it won't have a huge impact on hop utilization.

+1. Add the extract at 15 minutes.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:19 am

Palmer recommends in BCS to:

"At the end of the boil, turn off the heat and stir in the remaining extract. Let the wort sit for at least 1 full minute to pasteurize it, and then cool the wort to pitching temperature (preferably with a wort chiller). Don't let the wort sit hot for more than a couple of minutes before chilling, because that will promote the formation of dimethyl sulfide (DMS), a cooked-corn off-flavor common to pale malts"
Corporal, BN Army - Central Coast, CA
Moby

Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:07 pm

So, perhaps horrible equates to DMS in the finished product? +1 on the 15 minute addition, then I usually add my Irish moss and put my chiller into the boil to sanitize.

Alan
alan_marks

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:40 am

alan_marks wrote:So, perhaps horrible equates to DMS in the finished product? +1 on the 15 minute addition, then I usually add my Irish moss and put my chiller into the boil to sanitize.

Alan

I have to believe that along with the proteins break, DMS has already been driven off in the production of the extract. What do you all think?
Crupp

On tap: 09 Cider, American Mild, Dark Mild II, American Wheat, Hefe, Traditional Mead, Belgian Blond
crupp

Next

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing