Using a new yeast

Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:40 pm

I'm brewing a brown ale and used the WY1332, I noticed that fermentation (or at least bubbling, since this batch is in a bucket) has decreased dramatically after 3 days. Since this is a high floc yeast, would it be good to swirl the jug like I do when I use the London ESB yeast?
Believe nothing of what you see and only half of what you hear!
LimaLima113

Re: Using a new yeast

Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:21 pm

Yes, rousing the yeast may help. What is the fermentation temp?
If cool (low 60's), raise the temp a few degrees now to help dry the beer out and also help the yeast to clean up any diacetyl that may have built up, too.

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:37 am

If you're going to pop the lid, you might also check the FG. A good pitch to an oxygenated wort could very easily have completed most of its fermentation in 3 days. In other words, it may be flocculating because its done. A liitle "rousing" wont hurt anything though.
Spelt

Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:56 am

Will let you know how things turn out, just got back from Cancun, so the beer has been sitting idle for a week. I'm gonna swirl the fermenter for a couple days before I pop the top and take a FG reading. I honestly wouldn't be suprised if the fermentation was complete in 3 days, I had a very new smak pak and I let it sit out overnight before I pitched. (I did this before in a 1.080 OG Double IPA that I brewed, only took one pak, no starter, and a good oxygen infusion after the pitch and I turned a 75% attenuation w/ 8.0% ABV) I have a feeling the oxygen infusion is the key to the rapid fermentation.
Believe nothing of what you see and only half of what you hear!
LimaLima113

Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:28 am

LimaLima113 wrote:(I did this before in a 1.080 OG Double IPA that I brewed, only took one pak, no starter, and a good oxygen infusion after the pitch and I turned a 75% attenuation w/ 8.0% ABV) I have a feeling the oxygen infusion is the key to the rapid fermentation.

FYI, a fast start/rapid fermentation is not necessarily indicative of a healthy/optimal fermentation. Under pitching and compensating by over-oxygenating can lead to a fast fermentation, but can increase the production of off-flavored byproducts.

Depending on the OG, 3 days may be typical. Also, the beer has not really been "sitting idle" for a week. As BDawg mentioned, the yeast will use this time to clean up byproducts produced during fermentation like diacetyl. Sorry if I'm just feeding you information you already know, but I've tasted too many beers that suffered from being prematurely racked off the yeast that it's become something of a pet peeve of mine :)
siwelwerd

Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:07 pm

Ditto that. An underpitch will ferment and make beer, but not as good a beer as an adequate pitch.
Spelt

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing