Should I Pitch??

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:24 pm

I've just began doing Starters for my beer. My first starter was two batches ago and I just tried to keg it last week and it has a sour odor. The sourness was mostly on the nose, but when you drank it the hops covered most of it up. I assume it was some wild yeast which caused the sourness. Needless to say, I'm a little paranoid. I got another starter of 1056 going on Saturday night. I mixed 90g DME, Yeast nutrient & anti-foam with 900ml of water and boiled in my Erlenmyer for 15 minutes. Then covered loosely with foil and chilled in an ice bath to pitch temp. I opened the yeast and it smelled a little sour. I'm not sure if this is me being paranoid or if it should have a slight sour smell to it. I've always thought yeast smelled off and I don't remember exactly how 1056 should smell, but it usually ends up as good beer.

I pitched into the starter anyway and put it on my stir plate. I checked it last night and it still had that slight sour smell.

Should I brew tonight? Or go complain to the brew shop and get more yeast?
BrewDBrewBrew

Re: Should I Pitch??

Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:43 pm

I vote for just brewing. Who knows what your nose is picking up.
Spelt

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:28 pm

Well, it aint happening tonight. Came home to my wife and the stray dog she picked up. Maybe tomorrow, unless anyone has anyone convinces me not to.
BrewDBrewBrew

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:34 pm

pitch it, probably be the best beer youve ever made
dags

Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:21 pm

Are you sure its not a yeasty aroma as opposed to sour?
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing