Partial Mash or Extract??

Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:29 pm

OK I have lurking around for a couple of years. I have finally got around to buying equipment (slowly) and just picked up a my first extract kit. So my big question is this...I am honestly interested in doing just a extract recipe. I feel, thanks to all the great advice given here, I am ready for the big league....all grain. However, before I jump there I want to do some different...partial mash. So if I have an extract kit. Is it possible to do a partial mash with that or do I need to plan for that accordingly?
VA_BeerGeek

Re: Partial Mash or Extract??

Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:33 am

It's totally possible. Find a mini-mash recipe or adjust one of your own. Pick up a 5gal. paint strainer bag (available at any hardware or paint store). Put the grains you want to mash in the bag, insert bag in appropriate temperature water (according to recipe). Let soak at that temp for an hour. Remove bag and let drain into pot. DO NOT squeeze the bag, as this will release unwanted tannins. This wort now becomes the "boil water" in which you add your extract. Proceed as normal.

It's as simple as that. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4650 for how that same method can be used to go all-grain (although I personally found it more fun to build a HLT and mash tun out of coolers).
Corporal, BN Army, Southeastern PA Division
Vice President--Stoney Creek Homebrewers
TheTodd

Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:09 am

TheTodd wrote:It's totally possible. Find a mini-mash recipe or adjust one of your own. Pick up a 5gal. paint strainer bag (available at any hardware or paint store). Put the grains you want to mash in the bag, insert bag in appropriate temperature water (according to recipe). Let soak at that temp for an hour. Remove bag and let drain into pot. DO NOT squeeze the bag, as this will release unwanted tannins. This wort now becomes the "boil water" in which you add your extract. Proceed as normal.

It's as simple as that. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4650 for how that same method can be used to go all-grain (although I personally found it more fun to build a HLT and mash tun out of coolers).

Great tips!

Be sure to adjust for the use of the base grains as well by slightly lowering your LME/DME additions to the boil. I am sure your LHBS could help with this. Once you try a partial mash you will really get to enjoy the flavors that real grains can add to your finished product. Check out Jamil's section on Partial Mashing (grains in the bag) in Brewing Classic Styles. Easy and great info.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:36 pm

For 5 years I've used Randy Mosher's idea from his radical brewing book. A 2 gallon igloo drink cooler and a vegitable stainer as a false bottom. I've even done several 2.5 gallon all grain brews with this method getting 88% efficiency. I also prefer just to use DME, as I don't seem to get that thick, sweet extract flavor, but that's probably more my methods that the actual extract. I use a 2 cup measuring cup to transfer/sparge at the same time, it has worked well. Good luck!
My wife used to call me an alcoholic, so I started brewing beer. Now I have a hobby, and I'm a beer enthusiast, not an alcoholic.
Crinkle

Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:42 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. You got the gears moving in my head...which is good because they have been idle for a while.
VA_BeerGeek

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing