Hops Head IIPA Problem

Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:23 pm

Ok, I did a batch of this kit of double ipa from midwest supplies. Everything thing went great brewing, fine through the fermentation. When I was done with the secondary i transferred it to my new keg. When I tasted it from the secondary it was amazing and was a hop bomb. Even warm and flat it was amazing! Then it was carbing in the keg in the fridge and as each day passed it changed and the hops started to disappear. Now it is very sweet kinda has a butterscotch or butter taste ( diactyl ) i no thats spelled wrong. Now it just seems to get worse and worse each day, it there an infection from the keg or what are some possible causes of this. Thanks for any help!
PaintAddict

Re: Hops Head IIPA Problem

Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:41 am

It could be an infection in the keg or transfer line. If you picked up some pediocucus that would explain the diactyl. Replace any hoses and make sure your cleaning well.
:bnarmy: CORPORAL BN ARMY :bnarmy:
“You’re not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.” — Dean Martin
bigdan

Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:54 am

What he said.

It would make sense that the butter aroma could be covering up your hop presence. Make sure to do a full on soak with PBW on your keg (that you have pulled completely apart, and soaked all of its parts), hoses, racking canes, carboy/bucket, basically anything that touches your beer on the cold side. Also try to do all racking into other vessels with a plastic wrap or tin foil that has been sanitized to cover the keg openings and carboy openings. The soak or spray all those things with starsan or iodophor. Also, since it is easy to oxidize those hop flavors and tastes, make sure to purge your keg, racking lines, and stuff like that with co2. Shat talked about doing this on one of the first Mini Topics.

Hey, what ever happened to the Mini Topic anyway?

Mills
:bnarmy:
Sergeant: BN Army - Michigan Brewing Division

I've been pounding Chad's Dunkel all night.

- Doc

Twitter: @adammmills Follow me, yo!

http://thosewhocantteachbrew.blogspot.com
Mills

Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:10 am

Yeah I was kinda thinking it was the keg. I just cleaned them with star san and then i found out that they have to be cleaned before the star san as it is not a cleaner. Guess thats how you learn! Just suck when I know how good this beer was. Is PBW a good cleaner or is there also something a little more economical. Maybe like oxyclean or something like that. Thanks
PaintAddict

Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:35 am

PaintAddict wrote:Ok, I did a batch of this kit of double ipa from midwest supplies. Everything thing went great brewing, fine through the fermentation. When I was done with the secondary i transferred it to my new keg. When I tasted it from the secondary it was amazing and was a hop bomb. Even warm and flat it was amazing! Then it was carbing in the keg in the fridge and as each day passed it changed and the hops started to disappear. Now it is very sweet kinda has a butterscotch or butter taste ( diactyl ) i no thats spelled wrong. Now it just seems to get worse and worse each day, it there an infection from the keg or what are some possible causes of this. Thanks for any help!

I had the same problem with my Mirror Pond clone. For a week it was great. Then it turned cloudy and buttery. :cry:
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:54 pm

You may want to try using Oxyclean prior to using the star san, and running it through your hoses. Rinsing well afterward, should ensure that you have a nice clean keg. Good luck!
Fermenting: Chocolate Porter and Dusseldorf Altbier

-Chad
Brewer88

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing