Re: Big Belgian Help

Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:08 pm

Sure-

A yeast starter will ferment out overnight, and there's nowhere near the number of cells in there as in an active 5 gal batch (even as it nears the end).

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:03 pm

The more you put into the beer the better it will taste :D You don't want the yeast to really know they have been hit over the head with a pile of sugar. So every 24 hrs is good. Much better chances to all ferment out too.
AaronWesternNY

Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:34 pm

I love this site. The home brew forum is filled with douche baggery and snobbery. I added the 2nd addition of blonde and we have activity. From this point forward 1/4b sugar per day till its gone. I'm calling it a quint.....should finish at 15% and delicious. I love brewing and appreciate all the continuing help. Cheers|
Belgian Inspired

Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:52 pm

Smelletor wrote:May be too late, but I would really watch the temp on the 500 yeast. I might even hold off on ramping up the temp by 2-3 days. I've used that yeast in a couple of beers and gotten a LOT of banana that I wasn't looking for.

Good luck!

I can vouch for the banana if the primary ferment goes over 70 degrees with the WLP 500. Keep it cool at 65 to 66 degrees until the majority of the ferment has finished then let is rise up to 68 or so. You could even let it go to 70 but make sure its after a week at lower temps. This will keep the banana in check.
David - BN Army Sargent says, "Don't call me Sir, I work for a living!"
Primary: American Pale Ale; Dortmunder Export
Bottles: Belgian Golden Ale / Little Spider Robust Porter
Corney Keg: Imperial Stout 2 yrs out
Up Next: Levitation Ale clone
Metal Tiger

Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:21 pm

One week and I have gone up 3 degrees.....I will hold it till all sugar adds are done and then I will creep it up to 70 real slow.
Belgian Inspired

Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:31 am

I really think you would be okay adding more than 1/4# of sugar in increments like that. 1# additions are more than fine, but if you are concerned, than 1/2 # additions would be acceptable. Keep this in mind, everytime you are dissolving the sugar in water you are diluting your brewing attempt to reach 15% or so ABV b/c you are constantly adding 6oz of water each time you add the sugar additions. That is why I think you would be just fine with making less additions in higher amounts. Just my opinion. Plus it is less work/time/risk of infection opening your fermenter.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:31 am

I really think you would be okay adding more than 1/4# of sugar in increments like that. 1# additions are more than fine, but if you are concerned, than 1/2 # additions would be acceptable. Keep this in mind, everytime you are dissolving the sugar in water you are diluting your brewing attempt to reach 15% or so ABV b/c you are constantly adding 6oz of water each time you add the sugar additions. That is why I think you would be just fine with making less additions in higher amounts. Just my opinion. Plus it is less work/time/risk of infection opening your fermenter.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:32 am

Whoops...sorry for double post!
brewinhard
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing