Re: Big Belgian Help

Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:08 am

congrats on your first partial mash beer

you thought you were steeping, but with the pale malt and pilsner in there you were actually mashing
On tap 1: Dry Irish
On tap 2: El Jefeweizen
On tap 3: Vienna
kegged: Rye Amber, Belgian Dark Strong, CYBI Mirror Pond, Irish Red, RIS
lagering: Vienna, Helles, Cream Ale, CAP
Field

Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:16 am

May be too late, but I would really watch the temp on the 500 yeast. I might even hold off on ramping up the temp by 2-3 days. I've used that yeast in a couple of beers and gotten a LOT of banana that I wasn't looking for.

Good luck!
Kegged: American Brown
Fermenter: Wheat APA, feelings
Next up:
Smelletor

Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:23 pm

So far so good. I will watch the temp...I bumped up the temp 1 degree last night but I will skip tomorrow. It's pumping along....I put on a blow off tube but fermentation isn't explosive so far...just strong and steady. After the first sugar addition I will switch over to an airlock. OG was 1.132. How do I add the champaign yeast when bottling? Do I use a whole pack, hydrate and pitch with the priming sugar? Would red star Montrachet be ok to use? I only ask because I have a pack left from applewein.
Belgian Inspired

Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:35 pm

Throw in the Champ. yeast after you see no more action in the airlock after all the candi sugar additions have been added. If your wl500 have went to sleep because they just can't convert any more sugar you don't know what your beer is going to finish at. Your recipe says a number, but you don't know for sure the conditions in your fermenter-carboy. If the yeast have died of because alcohol poisoning, or gone to sleep because they are spent, and you add priming sugar, you will make a sweeter beer in the bottle, and you beer will never condition.

If you add champ. yeast after the airlock ceases bubbling 2 things happen: 1) the 500 didn't finish, there are more sugars waiting to be converted to alcohol by the champ yeast, it begins bubbling, you wait until it ferments out again. (If you do not wait for this second ferment to kick up and you bottle, the sugar will be converted in the bottle, CO2 produced, and you will have overcarbonated if not very expensive bottle bombs.) Then bottle condition as normal- the champ yeast continues to work. 2) The 500 has eaten all the available sugars and the champ yeast and-or 500 eats the freshly added sugars during bottling- either yeast you probably won't be able to tell the difference.

Keep us posted on the process.
AaronWesternNY

Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:03 am

thanks the help here has been fantastic. I will keep updating and if it tastes good mabye I can mail samples :P
Belgian Inspired

Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:13 am

Just added my 1st(of 12) Sugar adition last night. 4oz blonde sugar with 6 ozs water boiled for 5min, cooled to ferment temp, pitched and swirled. I don't really see any additional activity. My question is, will it take time for fermentation to pick up a little? Should I give it 24-36hrs before I even think about addiing my next addition?
Belgian Inspired

Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:27 pm

It probably happened already and you missed it.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:41 pm

Seriously? Are you forking with me? Is it that quick? Am I going to be doing an addition every 24 hours?
Belgian Inspired

PreviousNext

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing