First infection?

Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:41 pm

Pretty new brewer here, with my first really bad batch. I recently brewed an American Wheat from extract, and for the first time, I repitched some yeast. The previous batch that I got the yeast from turned out very well. I basically followed the yeast rinsing suggestions from the Brew Strong episode of repitching yeast, along with the pitching rate calculator from MrMalty. Once the fermentation was complete, I transferred it to a keg and force carbonated at about 36 degrees with 9 psi. 11 days after kegging, I went to taste it, and it was nothing but foam. I poured it into a couple pitchers and let the foam settle. There were lots of particles floating in there, and the taste was very sour. Does this seem like a possible wild yeast (or other) infection? I didn’t expect the foam, the floating particles, or the sour taste. Other than repitching yeast, I did everything the same as usual.

Just trying to learn, any help is appreciated!

Kevin
zerokev

Re: First infection?

Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:31 pm

Certainly sounds like a gusher infection. Kudos for giving the repitch a try!
Spelt

Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:15 pm

Yeah, I figured. Not that it really matters at this point, but would there be a way to tell if this happened during fermentation as opposed to after I kegged it? The gravity of the fermentation only when from 1.038 to 1.015. I admit that due to time constraints, I didn't pay as much attention to it as I would like, and it sat in the primary fermentor (glass) for 24 days before kegging.

Just trying to further pinpoint the problem.
zerokev

Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:03 pm

you should taste your beers at bottling or kegging...helps to know where your beer is at every point in the process.
Stinkfist

Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:10 am

Stinkfist wrote:you should taste your beers at bottling or kegging...helps to know where your beer is at every point in the process.

Right on. If your beer tasted fine out of the fermenter, then you would know that either you did not clean/sanitize the keg well enough or your racking equipment is to blame.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing