Re: Adding fruit to wheat beer...What? When? How?

Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:38 am

Thanks for all the good advice. It really helped alot.

I ended up trying a strawberry/rhubarb wheat. I kindof used a combo of methods that were suggested. (Although, I went against my better judgment with the strawberry, but I really wanted to try it out.) I basically just made a reduction using frozen strawberries and fresh rhubarb with a small amount of vanilla extract and a few spices. The only thing is, I also used some regular table (cane) sugar...would that have fermented out since it's not a simple sugar? Anyways, I racked the beer on top of the reduction and let it set for about 1 week before bottling.

It's bottle conditioning at the moment so I'm not sure exactly how it will end up. But to be honest, it smelled awesome! I'll let anyone who cares know how it turns out!

Thanks again!
On tap: Thick-Witted Wit
In Primary: Mmmmilk Stout
In Secondary: Soggy Pumpkin Ale
On Deck: Arrogant Bastard Clone

"People who drink light beer don't like the taste of beer...they just like to pee alot."
IndianaPaleAle

Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:26 am

Just post something about it in this thread when your bottles are drinkable. I'd be fairly interested in the result.
Bottle: Lonely Beer Party Bitter, Mildly Amused, Saison Du Biz (two fermentors with slightly different ferm. temps), Noah's Parti Bitter

Fermentor: Noahs Parti Wine-o

Coming up:
Wutz

Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:52 am

Yeah, let us know, I never thought of Rhubarb in beer before. Could be interesting.
Crinkle
My wife used to call me an alcoholic, so I started brewing beer. Now I have a hobby, and I'm a beer enthusiast, not an alcoholic.
Crinkle

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:36 am

IndianaPaleAle wrote:The only thing is, I also used some regular table (cane) sugar...would that have fermented out since it's not a simple sugar?

Cane sugar is indeed a simple sugar. And, yes, it will be consumed by the yeast.
-Tyson
whiteManCanHop

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:44 am

Good info- my 2 cents, I puree any fruit I can (rasp, blueberries) in a blender and add it during chilling after the wort is below 170, turn off chiller and let it set for 10 min, continue chilling. Add pectic enzyme to prevent pectic haze from the fruit (Extreme Brewing).
AaronWesternNY

Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:54 am

I have a peach tree in my yard and I am getting ready to brew an american wheat. Anyone have any suggestions on the amount of peaches I should use? I was planning on pitting and then freezing them to help break them down. Any help would be great. I love using home grown items. I am also thinking about a pepper beer this fall since my garden is going insane right now.
Fermenting: empty
Keg: amber ale and cream soda
Bottled: none
Up Coming Brews: possible peach wheat, Okonokos Orange IPA, Mocha Milk Stout, Solly's Red Arrow Ale
poohbaah85

Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:47 am

You'll probably need more peaches than you think. They're like strawberries, the flavor seems to get lost in the translation of beer. I would guess at least 3-5 pounds. I love peach wheats though, I usually make one every year. I like a pound of frozen peaches, and one pound of dried apricots. The apricots have the same basic flavor, but a little bolder. I also like to add 1-3 oz. of candied ginger, it lends itself nicely to the peach. Good luck!
My wife used to call me an alcoholic, so I started brewing beer. Now I have a hobby, and I'm a beer enthusiast, not an alcoholic.
Crinkle

Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:12 am

poohbaah85 wrote:I have a peach tree in my yard and I am getting ready to brew an american wheat. Anyone have any suggestions on the amount of peaches I should use? I was planning on pitting and then freezing them to help break them down. Any help would be great. I love using home grown items. I am also thinking about a pepper beer this fall since my garden is going insane right now.

I would start at a minimum of 2#/gallon of peaches in your beer. You are on the right track with washing, depitting, then freezing the fruit. I would also recommend to mash your peaches a bit right before adding them to your beer in secondary. Let the peaches sit a minimum of 1-2 mos for best results.

Good idea as well from Crinkle using the apricots. They do tend to lend a peachy flavor that is hard to achieve fully with peaches alone.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing