milling steeping grains w/o a mill

Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:54 pm

hi all,

i order steeping grains online and usually get them milled by the supplier but forgot this time. any ideas on how i can crack the grains open with common house hold tools? i only have about 2lbs to do and wasn't really planning on buying a mill anytime soon.

tks,

trevor
Next Up:
BCS Dirty Water Brown

Fermenting:
BCS To George! BoPils

Serving:
1867 EI Porter
bufordsbest

Re: milling steeping grains w/o a mill

Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:10 pm

Use a rolling pin or a wine bottle?
code
codewritinfool

Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:29 pm

codewritinfool wrote:Use a rolling pin or a wine bottle?

I suggest the same. Spread the grains on a counter or cookie sheet and press down hard and slowly move the rolling pin over the grain. Do as many single layer batches as required to process all of your grain. 2 lbs should take you about 15 minutes to crush this way. Your goal is to have large pieces of the outside split hulls and various sizes of the germ inside crushed. Go slow so it does not fly all over the place and press down hard so you have a good crush.
bcmaui

Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:03 am

The rolling pin method is not very effective. Try your blender instead. For full details, visit:

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtop ... it=blender
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:00 am

dmtaylor wrote:The rolling pin method is not very effective. Try your blender instead. For full details, visit:

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtop ... it=blender

great idea, thanks for the help!
Next Up:
BCS Dirty Water Brown

Fermenting:
BCS To George! BoPils

Serving:
1867 EI Porter
bufordsbest

Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:41 pm

The rolling pin method worked for me for quite some time before I bought a mill. I found that the blender & coffee mill didn't leave large enough pieces of husk for my liking & had problems with stuck mashes & tannins. I always used heavy duty freezer ziplocks, double-bagged & went to town on those malts.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing