Re: Adding Coffee to a Porter recipe

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:24 am

Since you can add coffee pretty much anywhere in the process, I did a few experiments with straight out coffee grounds in the mash with some mixed results. The only constant that I noticed is that the beers didn't age all that well but tasted great in the first month or two. I found in a 5 gallon batch of porter, 3-4 oz of grounds gave a nice distinct flavor.

I'm going to be doing the next batch by adding cold-steep (grounds, cold water, leave it in the fridge for 24-48 hours and filter the grounds) straight into the primary. I'm also thinking about stepping it up to a 10 gallon batch, and adding cold-steep to the primary on 5 and 'dry-hopping' the other with an equal amount of cold-steep a few days (my house strain usually hits terminal in 36 hours - 3 days) later to compare the effect of the yeast on the coffee.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:35 am

Thanks Oz, thats pretty useful information actually.I wasn't planning on aging this batch much at all, so I guess I'll just add some ground straight to boil around the 5 minute mark?

Im definiately interested in hearing how the rest of your experiments turn out.
Drinking: Payoff Porter, Olde Dwarfe Tosser Strong Scotch Ale
Planning: 60-/ Forgotten Boggards Ale
Brew Swillis

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:17 am

if you want a really nice coffee quality.

1) find a local roaster and buy the beans that you like most

2) research "cold pressed" brewing. Essentially using cold water extracts different qualities from the beans. IMO cold press is way better than hot methods for making coffee. It just takes a lot longer. When doing a cold press, you make super stong coffee. you can add this super strong coffee just before bottling and that way you can have 2 entries for NHC!
suck it
boobookittyfuk

Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:44 am

boobookittyfuk wrote:if you want a really nice coffee quality.

1) find a local roaster and buy the beans that you like most

2) research "cold pressed" brewing. Essentially using cold water extracts different qualities from the beans. IMO cold press is way better than hot methods for making coffee. It just takes a lot longer. When doing a cold press, you make super stong coffee. you can add this super strong coffee just before bottling and that way you can have 2 entries for NHC!

My parents exclusively drink cold pressed coffee - it tastes way different - my dad claims it extracts less oil than hot brew.

When I stay with them I bring my coffee maker. :lol:
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
mookie1010

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing