Did I mess up? (adding Honey)

Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:48 am

On yesterday's batch, I added 1 lb. of clover honey at flame out. I remembered today that I did not prepare it in any way to pasteurize it? I just poured it in out of the sealed container it came in - at 205F. I then stirred it in and began to cool my wort, which took only 16 minutes to get back to 70F. Did I kill any bacteria that may have been in the honey by adding it at near-boiling temps, or can I count on infection?
Thanks
beer4myhorses

Re: Did I mess up? (adding Honey)

Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:06 am

You should be just fine.
herbaljoe

Re: Did I mess up? (adding Honey)

Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:08 pm

beer4myhorses wrote:On yesterday's batch, I added 1 lb. of clover honey at flame out. I remembered today that I did not prepare it in any way to pasteurize it? I just poured it in out of the sealed container it came in - at 205F. I then stirred it in and began to cool my wort, which took only 16 minutes to get back to 70F. Did I kill any bacteria that may have been in the honey by adding it at near-boiling temps, or can I count on infection?
Thanks

I think it's ruined. You should give it to me to safely dispose of.
EGADS! 3 MONTHS WITHOUT BREWING? MOVING YOU SUCK.... NEVER AGAIN

In Kegerator - Hopfen Weiss, Best Bitter
In Primary - Baby Baine Barleywine
Next up: Petite Saison
thatguy314

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing