Re: Too long to come to boil... what to expect?

Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:17 am

Alchemywunderkid wrote:CHEERS GUYS, thanks for the reassuring words. Bugeater, I took your advice on the water/grain ratio on my next brew (American Brown Ale). If anyone's interested, I have an update... and some questions.

The beer's been in the fermentor now for 2 weeks. Started at 66ºF for a day or two, then placed in water bath with a block of ice when the temp spiked up to 70 (probably didn't need the ice, it dipped the temp to far, but live and learn). Coasted between 64-66 for 4 days and then moved to a warmer room to finish up at 66-68, rousting the yeast once by gently rocking the bucket during the time in the new room.

Finally decided to take a hydrometer reading and it seems to be doing nicely at 1.017, 2 points to the north of the anticipated FG. It's amazingly clear (for my brews anyway) and tastes excellent.

Aha,
I see it is my friend Alex. damn forumn names :oops:

Here're my questions...

1) I'm thinking of bottling this coming weekend. Is it worth potentially sacrificing the amazing clarity I have going for a potential point or two on the specific gravity? Would rousting the yeast again even make a difference at this point?
2) I've read that the yeast (WLP007) is quite flocculant, do you think the early temperature dips knocked some out of solution that are worth rousting?

I know this is a fermentation question, but it seems more appropriate to keep all the info about one batch together. Thanks!
Beer makes you smart, drinking is art.
www.fritzbrew.com

Corporal BN Amy
Fritz Eye

Re: Too long to come to boil... what to expect?

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:20 pm

Sheen wrote:
Alchemywunderkid wrote:
larry78cj7 wrote: Would any DMS be created (and subsequently trapped) by the steeping grain liquid while it ramps up to a boil?

No.

Just a clarifier - Yes, DMS will be created. Any temp over 170 will create DMS. In your specific situation, it wouldn't really matter however. 1 - you're not creating very much with just the steeping grains and no base grain. 2 - it's only in a small percentage of your water. 3 - it won't get trapped, just get thrown back into the main boil & directly boiled off again. So... to answer your question, yes it'll be created, but won't matter one bit (in this situation).
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing