making that beer perfect.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:32 am

Is there anyway to boost up the final gravity of a beer to make it a little more "carmely"??? I was thinking about literally adding caramel. I'm on week 2 right now. The gravity is at 1.011 ...a little low
Dmp

Re: making that beer perfect.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:37 pm

You can boost up the FG by adding some maltodextrin. For additional carmel flavor you might want to steep some C60 in a gallon of water, then boil for 10 min, chill and pitch (slowly, as to not introduce O2).

I would stay away from adding caramel to the brew. It's all simple sugars and would do hardly anything for flavor or FG.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:01 pm

hmm I like the idea of steeping some more C60 to the batch, but there is no more room in the 5 gallon jug. hmm. what will the maltodextrin add as far as flavor? and what is maltodextrin and where can i get it?
Dmp

Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:11 pm

It's a white powder that you can get at your LHBS. It is basically tasteless and unfermentable. It will just improve the body.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:20 pm

ya thats the way to go. so what is the weight of malto dextrin? pts/pp/pg?
Dmp

Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:57 pm

What would happen if I added sliced up apricots to the mix? or would I need to boil the apricots to get the sugars out? How do I extract the apricot flavor to the beer without getting of tastes from the actual chemical make up of the apricot?
Dmp

Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:01 pm

Dmp wrote:What would happen if I added sliced up apricots to the mix? or would I need to boil the apricots to get the sugars out? How do I extract the apricot flavor to the beer without getting of tastes from the actual chemical make up of the apricot?

Whoa there padawan.
Phil

Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:14 pm

Dmp wrote:What would happen if I added sliced up apricots to the mix? or would I need to boil the apricots to get the sugars out? How do I extract the apricot flavor to the beer without getting of tastes from the actual chemical make up of the apricot?

You could use fresh, uncooked Apricots, but it's a hell of a lot easier and more predictable to use a puree.
Sent From My iPhone

Next

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing